There are many instances in life where being able to recognize warning signs can help prevent minor issues from becoming major ones. A clear example of this is auto maintenance. When you hear engine knocking or smell burning transmission fluid, you know that it is time to bring your car into the shop and have a mechanic here in Richardson, TX check it out.
When you experience symptoms of medical conditions, like peripheral arterial disease (PAD), it is also important to see a health expert for a diagnosis and to receive treatment. Failing to do so is like continuing to drive a car that is exhibiting warning signs – eventually there will be a breakdown!
Naturally, the first step in being able to get medical care for any issue is to recognize that a problem exists. Given that PAD is a circulation problem that can increase the risk of life-threatening conditions like heart attacks and strokes, it is important to know what to look for.
Unfortunately, some cases come with no warning signs, but (when present) PAD symptoms include:
- Intermittent claudication, which is painful cramping that happens in calf, thigh, and hip muscles following physical activity. Walking, jogging, and even climbing stairs can all trigger this response.
- Weakened leg muscles.
- Numbness in the legs and feet.
- Coldness in either of the lower limbs, particularly when in comparison to the other side.
- Sores in the legs, feet, or toes that will not heal.
- Change in color or shininess of the skin on the legs.
- Slow hair growth or even hair loss on legs and feet.
- Either a weak or nonexistent pulse in the lower limbs.
Peripheral arterial disease can have serious, life-threatening implications, so it is important to be able to recognize the warning signs early. Of course, recognizing the symptoms of PAD is only the first step. The next is to do something about it.
When you are aware of this medical condition, it is important to come see us at Richardson Podiatry Associates so we can create a treatment plan to keep you safe and improve your overall wellness. We may specialize in foot and ankle issues, but we care about the entire health of our patients and want to know that you are safe. Call our Richardson, TX office today by calling (972) 690-5374 or schedule your appointment online to receive the care and treatment you need.